Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Can You Hear Me?

This is actually the title of a book/bible study I am working through right now by Brad Jersak (a Canadian author). I stumbled across the book on a friends book shelf and asked if I could borrow it because just by the title it seemed like a book I needed in my life at this exact moment. After contemplating the title I began to wonder is this the question I am asking God or is it what He's asking me???

Once into the first chapter I realized that this is what God is asking me... Can you hear me? So many times I am guilty of falling into a repetitive prayer life, instead of having a conversation with a living God. I used to be very diligent about seeking what the Lord actually had to say to me - not in an audible voice, but in that soft, inner whisper that He often uses when we take the time to truly listen. Lately, it's like the circumstances in our life have been spinning so wildly out of control that I have not taken the time to stop and listen. That doesn't mean that God still isn't trying to get through to me.

The major scripture in the first chapter really, REALLY encouraged me so I want to share it with everyone:

The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. (John 10:2-5,14-15)

The author goes on to say "The Lord is making a point here about his voice: he has one. He uses it. He speaks. His sheep - those who have ears to listen-hear it, know it, and follow it.

God does speak. He is speaking all the time. He speaks in many ways. The problem is not with God's voice. The trouble is with our ears. We do not hear or perceive what he is saying. We might even go one step further to say that we do hear him - we are just not aware that we hear him. Or, perhaps we're not ready or willing to listen."

In my personal walk (before reading this) I have often wondered "why is God being silent now, when I need Him the most?" I am so grateful for this simple teaching that God is always here, He's just waiting for us to listen. I am also very grateful for such a patient Father!!

I am excited to share more of this journey with you as I read further and explore further with God into the Scripture of His heart. If one thing is certain, He does not want this train wreck that we've been on to continue! He wants the very best for his children, all of us, and I am ready to claim back what has been stolen from us over the last 7 months. My prayer is that as you read this you will grow a desire to go deeper with the Father whose love for you is never silent!

No comments:

Post a Comment