Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Top 10 Reasons I Love Nebraska!

You're right... I've never been to Nebraska.  But that doesn't mean there isn't lots to love about it.  Here are the top 10 things I love about Nebraska:

10. The largest porch swing in the world is located in Hebron, Nebraska and it can sit 25 adults. No wonder they have a laid back outlook on life.

9. The 911 system of emergency communications, now used nationwide, was developed and first used in Lincoln, Nebraska. I think we're all glad for this one!

8. Nebraska is both the nation's largest producer and user of center pivot irrigation. Living in land-locked Alberta, a farming community, I can appreciate this.

7. Nebraska is the birthplace of the Reuben sandwich. Thank you Nebraska!

6. The Lied Jungle located in Omaha is the world's largest indoor rain forest. As a tree hugger I definitely appreciate this.

5. And this.  J. Sterling Morton founded Arbor Day in Nebraska City in 1872. 

4. This too... The world's largest hand-planted forest is Halsey National Forrest near Thedford, Nebraska.

3. Not this so much... Spam (canned meat) is produced in Fremont. My husband has a different opinion on Spam then I do, so I included this for you honey!

2.  Kool-Aid was invented by Edwin Perkins in 1927 in Hastings. He changed his soft drink syrup, Fruit Smack, into a powder to make it easier to ship. Doesn't the name "Fruit Smack" say it all???

And the top reason I love Nebraska is:

1. It is the state where my husband will be employed for the next 63 days (give or take a few).  Mike leaves for Nebraska this Sunday, and we likely won't get to see him until Christmas, depending on how his project goes.  Then it will be off to another state, and another project.  I am sure I'll have plenty of time to compile my next top 10 list!



imgres.jpg

imgres.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Wow! They really brought a lot to the plate! Spam, 911, irrigation pivots... Who'da thunk it? Excited the life is finally taking shape in the direction you want... We'll miss you Mike! Travel safe & enjoy the new job! xxxx Aunty 'Jo' & Tina

    ReplyDelete