Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I am a TRIATHLETE!!

Today let's rewind to an important event in my personal life that happened back in August.  I never took the time to write about it then, so I'm making time now... it's never too late!


For several *years* I have been awe-inspired by the men and women of all ages, races, and backgrounds who have committed to the many hours of training and sacrifices made to endure the grueling distances covered in the Ironman triathlon.  Given 17 hours to complete the 2.4 mile (3.86 km) swim, 112 mile (180.2 km) bike, and full marathon 26.2 mile (42.2 km) run, many of the professional triathletes finish the race in 8 1/2 hours!  Totally amazing!


So... I certainly didn't compete in an Ironman.  Not even close.  It may have felt that way to me, but the distances I covered were a 750 m open-water swim, 16 km bike, and a 5 km run.


I started training back in April and had a really great routine going and a great support group. I was learning a lot, and it was much easier getting to a workout when you knew that someone else was there waiting on your support, too.  Unfortunately the support/training group slowly crumbled apart and I was left to train on my own.  I am glad this happened, because when you are racing it really comes down to the determination you have within yourself to push through the "uncomfortable".  No one else can do it for you.  Sadly I didn't stay as committed to my training through June and July as I had started out in April and May.  Come race day I had only trained 4 times in the last two months!!  Not promising.


A week before the race I had decided that I wasn't going to go.  My logic/justification here was that I didn't want to compete if I couldn't give it my very best effort.  Being a textbook "Type A" personality I don't like to give anything a half effort.  I prayed about it and realized that I would really regret not participating, even if I didn't feel like I was competing.  I knew this wouldn't be my best effort.  Once I was done the race I knew it wasn't really even a race effort; I had really struggled to finish.  I was tired above anything else.  I am proud of myself for persevering though!  It has given me new drive to train better for more races next summer.  I am thinking of scheduling 4 races for 2011 and two of which will be at the next distance, Intermediate, or Olympic.  This race consists of a 1.5 km swim, 40 km bike and 10 km run.  I will definitely be challenged by this but I am also committed and excited!


The highlights of this race included:
- completing my first race ever, and becoming a official TRIATHLETE!
- having the learning curve of my first race out of the way.  I learned SO much! Things I was happy with and things I will do differently.
- the AMAZING support from other athletes and volunteers cheering for me along the way! So many people passed me (boohoo) but as they went by they said "Great job 202!" (my race number). It was so encouraging!
- My husband and kids woke up at 5:30 am to come to my race that didn't start until 10:00 am. That is an awesome feat for a 7 month old and a 2 year old!  They found strategic places to stand along the race route to cheer me on as I went past. What an awesome feeling!
-My very best friend showed up with all her professional camera gear and support signs in hand to cheer me on to the finish.  We hugged and cried together after the race, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way!  Thank you Jill!! I was so proud to be "Momma J" that day!
- A random supporter along the race route recognized me by race number and shouted "Way to go Momma J!" How awesome is that!
- getting a time (2:04:49) that I KNOW I can improve on next year!


Just before the swim start... can you spot me?

There I am!

Women's sprint swim start

Passing the first buoy

Rounding the far buoy

Finished the swim, entering transition1, removing my wetsuit while running

Exiting T1, running with my bike to the road

My best lil' supporter!

Completing my first lap on the bike, one more to go

Bearing the light rain to cheer for me on the bike route!

Exiting T2, start of my 5 km run.  I'm having a good time, I'm even smiling!

Crossing the finish line!

A sense of accomplishment!

My proud family :)

Congratulatory kiss!


I had a wonderful time and I am so grateful for the path that lead me to becoming a triathlete for life! Thank you for sharing the journey with me.


Swim, Bike, Run,


Momma J

1 comment:

  1. YAY MAMA J!!!!! Still so proud of you!!! Can't wait to be there next summer for more cheering, photos & celebrations!!!!! You go girl!!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete