Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nothing Short of Miraculous!

So the logistics of our trip were absolutely amazing!  After visiting with Jill a couple days before we were about start our big trip, we had dinner the night before going with Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle Blair and Aunty Daniel.  We said our good-byes that night because we were leaving early in the morning.  It's always so hard to say good-bye when you don't know exactly when the next time you will see each other again.  It was especially hard knowing that Harrison didn't know exactly what it meant to say good-bye this time.

We started the day with another beautiful sunrise! I love how God encourages me with the beautiful things that make me smile!  We drove to the Canada/USA border and crossed over without any issues, and continued onto Great Falls, Montana - first 350 km of our trip under way.  We stopped at Target to stretch our legs, purchase a GPS unit and have some lunch.  I pre-booked our hotels for this trip, so we had to push towards our destination every day.  We were aiming for Billings, Montana for the first night.

Back in the van, and off we went!  I am so grateful that we had a DVD player to entertain Harrison.  Grandma and Aunty Jill bought him some new movies for the road trip so he was excited! He loved all his Bob the Builder dvds so much!

We arrived in Billings around 4:30pm, found our hotel and settled in.  Harrison was so funny! As we arrived at the hotel room, he ran in and practically started himself a bath. This became our new nightly routine for every hotel we stayed at.  We jumped on the beds, had our dinner, then settled in for our sleep for the night so we could get an early start the next day. Day 1, 700 km, not a single cry or fuss, praise God!

Our sleep was awesome!  Both kiddos were awake at 6 am so I packed up and took them downstairs for some breakfast. Heidi had her baby food and Harrison wasn't quite ready to eat so we grabbed a milk and a muffin for the road. Back in the van, we made our way through the rest of Montana, and all of Wyoming into Colorado.  We stopped in Casper, Wyoming to get gas, pick up some Subway sandwiches, and then we found a park to have a picnic at.  The kids had a wonderful time eating lunch on the grass.  Harrison ate and ran, then ate some more.  He played and played on the equipment and after about an hour break it was time to go.  This was about the only time the entire trip that Harrison fussed, only because he didn't want to stop playing! First stop, 444 km under way.

Back on the highway, we had fun singing "Silly Songs with Larry" on the Veggie Tales dvd.  I love this because it makes Harrison laugh!!  Then Heidi started laughing at Harrison and I was laughing with them and I could feel the joy of the Lord resting sweetly on us. Another little yet significant encouragement from God. 

We arrived at our destination, Loveland, Colorado around 4:30 pm and went straight to the outlet stores so I could pick up some clothes for the kids.  There were some fairly good bargains, but I knew the kids were tired and that we needed to get into our hotel and have dinner soon, so I didn't look super hard to the best deals.  Just when I thought we were in, out and off to the hotel my debit card was declined at the Carter's store.  I instantly knew it was because I had been using it all over the country side!  I called the bank and answered the questions and unlocked the card.  At least they were looking out for me! The end of day 2, 819 km. Whew!

Another hotel, another dinner, more jumping on the bed and another bath.  Both kiddos crashed by 7 pm and were up again at 6 am.  No fussing, no crying; only happy, well rested babies. Thank you Jesus! What an amazing blessing!  I packed up again and took the kids for hotel breakfast.  Staying at hotels with breakfast made our trip SO much easier!

On Friday morning we headed out from Loveland towards Amarillo, Texas around 6 am because the kids were wide awake at 5am (thanks time change!). Yikes. TONS of construction.  I did not anticipate these delays.  Thankfully Harrison was engrossed with the big trucks and tractors working on the road, and Heidi slept through most of it.  After an hour of construction delays we were jaunting across south-eastern Colorado and Oklahoma.

I didn't really anticipate my reaction as we neared the state line and crossed over into Texas. This big flood of relief, thankfulness and joy washed over me and I began to cry happy tears.  Way up in the panhandle there isn't much to see or look at, except oil wells.  Sort of a desert wasteland.  I saw my first gnarled mesquite tree and cried some more.  Isn't it funny the things we have associations with?

We pulled into our hotel in Amarillo around 3:30 pm with plenty of time to relax, play, eat and rest before our final day of traveling.  Another bath and story time and we all crashed early after our amazing dinner from Pacific Rim. Yum!  I was as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve knowing what was in store for the next day! The end of day 3, 769 km.

On our fourth and final day of travel we had an early breakfast with about 200 seniors, no exaggerating. We were the only family awake as they had their breakfast and reboarded the big tour bus.  I think that would be a fun way to get around and meet people when I'm a bit older! That, and a cruise! It seemed like every single person stopped at the table to talk to Harrison and gaze into Heidi's sparkling blues.  It was a fun way to start our morning!

Day 4, off to Abilene!  We were up at 5 am again, so we got an early start on the drive, which was going to allow me time to stop at the big Target in Lubbock. Hooray!  It was a good place for us to stretch our legs. I grabbed 2 drinks at Starbucks.  Maybe a sign that I'm ready to be done the big adventure? Yes! 

We pressed on and arrived in Abilene around 12:30. It seemed like such a short day with only 460 km driven! We met Vonnie Crumpton at our new house, where she toured us around.  Believe it or not, it was our first time seeing the house!! When my friend Katy put me in touch with her mother-in-law about the house a complete peace washed over me and I knew we would be happy there, sight unseen!

Our home is absolutely wonderful! It is very large and spacious, more room than we really need.  It actually has two 2 car garages and a great fenced yard for Harrison to play in.  We love it!  God is so good!! The kids absolutely love it, which is what matters most to me.

That is the abbreviated version of our journey, all 2,748 km of it, but all to say that there was not a single meltdown, by the kids or me! No trouble, no worries, just joy!  Over all I would describe our trip as long, but fun and enjoyable! I've had 4 hour flights with Harrison that I wouldn't say that about! What a God gift!

If feels so good to be home.  I have been struggling to put words to it really.  I just know that this is where the Burnett Bunch belongs.

1 comment:

  1. That is just AWESOME!!! I'm sure I would have been cranky after that long in the car!!! :o) Glad you're there safe & sound & things are turning out so well... Enjoy Target for me... Big hugs! Aunty Jo! xxxx